Southbound

Walking across a frozen Loch Avon towards the Shelterstone My time in the Highlands is over and, later today, I begin the long journey back to Cornwall.  I have spent the last day and a half recuperating from my exhersions on my Winter Mountain Leader Assessment, with Glenmore Lodge.  Unfortunately I blew a couple of navigational legs and will have to come back up next winter for a day of navigation assessment, but it's a great excuse to head back into the mountains.  Winter has definitely returned with a vengeance.  High winds and snow at the end of last week meant we had to crawl off the mountain, as it was virtually impossible to stand up, let alone walk!  I was lucky enough to be in an assessment group with some great people and the banter was epic.  It is a shame that out of the four of us, only Nick passed outright, Simon, Dave and myself are having to come back.

Lunchtime in typical Scottish Winter conditions

The joys of snow-holing

I have had a wonderful time in Scotland this year.  It has been great to catch up with old friends and make new ones.  My thanks goes out to everyone who has helped me through it all, in particular,
Ned and Glenda, Jimmy and Kim, Wendy, The Last of the Summer Wine Mountaineering Club, Kathy from the SAIS (who, despite being very petite and looking incredibly fragile, heads out into the mountains in all weathers and conditions to gather valuable information on the snowpack, for the safety of others - if you are planning to head out into the Scottish mountains in winter, make sure you READ AND UNDERSTAND the SAIS report before you go!!), Desperate Dan, Willie and the guys of the BIG K, Al Gilmore and Heather Morning at Glenmore Lodge, and lastly, my mate and Laird of  the Tholl Bothy -  Heavy Whalley who took me in and looked after me when I needed it most (not that he had much choice!). Cheers guys

Heavy Whalley, Laird of the Tholl Bothy

"You know Alf, going to the right place at the right time, with the right people is all that really matters. What one does is purely incidental".
Colin Kirkus to his great friend, Alf  Bridge, on Skye 1930's

13 Comments to Southbound:

strona www on 17 August 2014 09:04
the design which will be matched up to requirements and additionally requirements for the people In these types of room has critical place starting point triangular. The vertices might possibly be the about three important your kitchen appliance

vibrator celana dalam wanita on 14 January 2015 03:00
thank you for sharing of some of the articles we read this one article is very interesting for us, i like it and very helpful to me

http://www.bestessay.org/ on 09 June 2017 13:54
Hiking in the winter although sounds very cool but it is very dangerous and tiresome work. Also there have been many accidents because of the snow falling in winter so it’s better to be cautious. But still I want to experience the thrilling feelings of mountain hiking in winter.

Sol on 13 July 2017 14:37
Looks like you had a great time. It really feels good to do something especial together with our loved ones and friends. Taking a break help refresh our thoughts before we create our NoNeedtoStudy.com review.

red arrow costume for sale on 17 May 2018 01:35
Why Cosjj is cosplayers' first choice to buy Cosplay Costumes. COSJJ specialized in tailor made costume making, having been in this field for more than 5 years, last guardian costumes have more than 30 tailors and all the costumes you saw online are custom-made by our tailors, made in daily use standard. The Costumes from COSJJare all hand-made, can be daily used, this is the main difference between our costumes and other fancy dress and cheap mass products.young justice cheshire costume Shopping with COSJJ.COM, that means you get the custom costume directly from the manufacturer, No Agent, No middleman between the tailors and buyers. alice misstitched dress And your special requirements will be passed directly to the tailor who made your costumes.

loemrntdherid1 on 09 July 2018 08:51
Must admit that you are one of the best writtens I have ever read.

car title loans online chicago on 19 July 2018 03:32
Some even go to charge card organizations to get cash. Be that as it may, in view of the current financial emergency the nation is enduring, banks and charge card organizations have not been accessible to them.

peter on 16 August 2018 12:12
much obliged to you for your intriguing infomation. Trust Flow Backlinks

Shirlene Smalley on 30 August 2018 11:41
The figure looks cool. Thank you for sharing the collection. dsploit OGYoutube magisk manager

Callum Daniels on 05 September 2018 09:25
This is my first visit to this website, you have shared useful content which i like reading.Keep posting more articles they are good to read. Click website to buy Ground Reinforcement Mesh

seo on 06 September 2018 11:10
howdy, your sites are better than average. I value your work. Electronis

Alex McDonald on 19 September 2018 10:38
You have made a great article about climbing rock. You have written about the topic in detail which i like reading.I will come back to read more similar articles. Top supplier of rubber roofing in UK

Riley McDonald on 19 September 2018 11:27
Wonderful article about climbing rock. You have shared information which i like reading.Keep posting more similar articles. tarpaulin sheet in multiple colors