Finally.....

Just got in from a good day in the Northern Corries of Cairngorm (not far from the Cairngorm Mountain Ski Area) with one of my buddies that I haven't seen in years.  We were members of the RAF Kinloss Mountain Rescue Team and had joined at the same time.  Jimmy has settled up in Scotland with his family and, even though he is no longer in the RAF, he is still keen to get out in the hills.  After 2 days of gales and fluctuating temperatures we were both keen to escape the confides of the house, so we set off to the Cairngorms, armed with good weather and avalanche forecasts, climbing kit and a loose plan to do something.

The walk into Coire an t-Sneachda, a very popular winter climbing venue

The recent warmer weather, high winds and freeze/thaw cycle had stripped a lot of snow from the corrie, but there had been a light dusting and transportation of fresh snow.  Things looked promising, however, not having had a chance to consolidate, fresh snow doesn't make a great climbing medium (ice axes have no purchase), but as it is mostly 'mixed climbing' in the corrie, we decided to head to the Fiacaill Buttress and the climb, Invernookie.

Fiacaill Buttress, Corie an t-Sneachda.  A good place for winter climbing
It has been quite a while since I last went winter climbing, so Jimmy lead off first and made short work of the easy, but serious first pitch.  Then it was my turn on the 'sharp end'.  It took a little time before I felt comfortable, teetering around on crampons and hanging from the tips of my axes that were embedded in the consolidated snow that lay beneath the fresh powder.  At a steepening, I felt that I needed to place a piece of protection before I committed myself to the crux moves, but the exposed rock was very compact and offered nothing in the way of a nut placement. Eventually, after a lot of digging, I unburied an old piton from beneath the snow cover.  Its all I could find and would have to do, as I couldn't anything else to back it up (never trust old, in-situ gear).  Taking a deep breath, I committed myself to the moves and pulled up, gingerly, onto a steeply banked-out ledge. Phew!  An easy ramp followed, before an awkward groove led to a good belay.  Jimmy made short work of following the pitch, before he led out to the top of the climb.  Here we coiled our rope, and had a bite to eat, before heading up easy ground to the plateau.

Leading the last bit of the climb. Invernookie.  Quite exposed!Jimmy following on the second pitch of the climb, Invernookie

From there we descended a feature know locally as Point 5 Gully, practising lowering techniques and constructing 'bucket seat belays'.  It's been quite a while since either of us did this, so it was good to refresh our memories and skills.  Then it was time to head off home and plan for the next adventure....a two day bothy trip to the hills Northwest of Inverness...and the forecast is very, very promising!

13 Comments to Finally.....:

www on 03 August 2014 19:24
Scandinavian interiors are simply just begging for that drape form of plata, huge towards the ground More amplify varieties allow us to get hold of one of the rim or even the excellence bumping involving small to medium sized models together with largesse.

boneka full body on 14 January 2015 02:59
Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting for me and beneficial to all people who read

profile on 14 May 2015 18:41
but additionally for those youngster shall be comfort infant carrier details which will help us all within the selection of your furniture, resources, wall membrane and bare floors

http://bestwritingclues.com/ on 11 April 2018 10:21
In this area of the climbing in cornwall you can set a new direction here. Just catch your work with and finally see all the new blog here. You can also get the information about the climbing activities from this platform.

black canary costumes on 17 May 2018 01:42
Here are a couple of high quality Arrow Roy Harper Costumes. They’re more expensive than the typical arrow costumes that are sold at costume/cosplay stores and sites like Amazon and Ebay but it’s only because they actually look better.alice madness returns misstitched Most of the cheaper ones I’ve seen are made of Spandex or Lycra, basically synthetic fiber that’s elastic like rubber but stronger. Most of those sell for under $80. The more expensive ones are made of synthetic or real leather which looks a lot better than the Spandex ones, hence the price. oliver queen cosplay The costume used in the movie is also leather.thea queen halloween costume

peter on 08 July 2018 07:44
Much obliged to you again for all the information you distribute,Good post. I was exceptionally keen on the article, it"s very motivating I ought to concede. I like going to you site since I generally go over intriguing articles like this one.Great Job, I incredibly acknowledge that.Do Keep sharing! Respects, https://www.flooddoctorva.com

Robinjack on 08 July 2018 08:19
This put up is totaly unrelated to what I used to be looking google for, however it was indexed on the first page. I guess your doing something right if Google likes you adequate to place you at the first page of a non related search. 18bet

seo on 16 July 2018 20:26
. All our prices are very competitive and we try to give you, the customer, as much of a good deal as we can. Silver jewellery is becoming more and more popular as the months go on, and, over the last year, here at Something Elegant, we have seen our customer base double.  In order to keep your buyers interested, you need to continue adding to your product range and keep up to date with the latest trends. home remodeling services

guest posting sites on 19 July 2018 08:10
Pleasant Informative Blog having decent sharing..

battlegrounds cheats on 07 August 2018 07:21
this is a multiple player game

http://getbusinesstoday.com/ on 15 August 2018 10:15
I truly welcome the sort of themes you post here. A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing us an extraordinary data that is really useful. Great day!

peter on 16 August 2018 12:12
i truly like this article please keep it up. trust flow blog comments

eter on 06 September 2018 11:09
Hey! A debt of gratitude is in order for the colossal data you havr gave! You have touched on crucuial focuses! http://bestshoppingshop.com/