Winter? What Winter?

While friends of mine were ice climbing in Scotland, last Sunday I was climbing in the sun, down near Land's End, on a cliff known as Chair Ladder.  For many climbers, this cliff is the finest in Cornwall, providing some of the best middle-grade climbing in the county, on solid
golden granite, seamed with cracks and well-endowed with holds and comfortable belays and sea level starts.  The plan was to climb some of the lesser known and rarely travelled easier routes, to check the descriptions and grading for a new Climbers Club guidebook (injured ankle allowing).

Climbing in Cornwall at this time of year can be a real treat, as the climate is certainly a lot milder than other parts of the country, plus the crowds of climbers that swarm over the cliffs at Easter and during the Summer holidays are nowhere to be seen.  In fact, on this trip, the only other people we saw on the cliffs were the National Coastwatch Institute observers in their lookout atop Gwennap Head.

First on the list was Great Slab Route.  This 4 pitch route was first climbed back in the 1930s and follows an easy, but slightly devious line up the crag. During nesting season, this part of the cliff is an unpleasant place to climb, as every ledge is home to adult gulls and chicks. The smell of rotting fish can be overpowering, but after winter storms, most of the guano has been washed off, and coupled with the day's warm temperatures, it was a joy to climb on.

Chair Ladder seacliff. Climbing in Cornwall
My foot was doing reasonably well too, despite injuring it a couple of months ago. It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel as strong as i'd hoped.  In fact I felt awkward moving over the rock.  At one point, while struggling to get to grips with an easy chimney, I had to stop and give myself  a 'Talking to' before I could make upward progress.  My climbing partner, Sue, didn't give me much sympathy!  For those modern climbers brought up on artificial climbing walls,  Chimneys are wide fissures where upward progress is made by pushing your back against one wall of the fissure, while pushing on the opposite wall with your feet.  It is this outward pressure that keeps you in place.  One must then move one foot up the wall, while maintaining this outward pressure, before moving the other, then shuffling your back up the wall. repeat as necessary!

There was no rest for us, for as soon as we got to the top, we were scrambling down Ash Can Gully to do battle with another climb. Original Route was first first climbed back in 1938 by one of my climbing heroes,  Colin Kirkus.  While on holiday in Cornwall, this rock climbing genius, who pioneered incredible routes on welsh crags, such as the sombre Clogwyn d'ur Arddu on the flanks of Snowdon, left a collection of little gems on the granite.  There is always something special about Colin's routes, and Original Route is no exception.  A short, but intimidating traverse across a yawning void, gains a ledge, before launching up a steep wall, festooned with large holds. Definitely one to seek out and, as it starts on a large platform above the sea, one doesn't have to worry about the tide.
Original Route, Chair Ladder.  Rock Climbing Cornwall

During this climb, I felt more confident on my feet, so Sue and I decided there was time for one more climb, so we abseiled down the cliff to gain the start of  Wolverine Chimney, a climb pioneered by Royal Marine Commandos, back in the 1940s.  The Marines used many cliffs in the area to practise cliff assault skills and left many fine climbs, particularly at nearby Sennen.  This climb involves awkward climbing over a series of high steps, before romping up a steep corner crack, utilising large holds for upward movement.  I'm sure the Marines would have enjoyed the powerful climbing required to overcome the corner crack.

By now my foot was beginning to hurt, so we decided it was time to call it a day.  Having recovered the abseil rope and the rest of our gear, we walked (I hobbled) back to the car park in the late afternoon sun, reviewing the days activities.  It had been a successful day, as I had managed to climb ok, despite recovering from a serious foot injury,  we had checked more routes for the new guide and we had been in the warm sun all day....who says winter has to be cold?  Then it was time for a nice cup of tea.

Rock climbing at Chair Ladder, Cornwall

20 Comments to Winter? What Winter?:

Oliver on 23 February 2012 12:17
I can picture the "talking to" moment!

sue Hinton on 25 February 2012 21:45
LOL - yes he did make a mountain out of a molehill on that first chimney pitch, no need to back and foot em at all, however, got to say, my knuckles suffered on the third route and Pete was back to his old surprisingly graceful self!! The silent 'talking to' was amusing though!

okna pcv lublin on 24 June 2014 15:24
When choosing door and containment system on their personally own property might be good Is very interesting, for example , attractive stone

website on 06 August 2014 01:50
We require to do not forget this any time you select a good kitchen's just as one open room in the existing room Just think about time, and it is came to the conclusion that

stron on 21 August 2014 04:51
In option, it is sometimes worthwhile to search for a service who in no way only in practice how a ordered item previous to particular acquire.

best essay writers online on 22 January 2018 21:10
Winter is favourite season of many people. They have winter goals. They like to enjoy winter by visiting wonderful places. They make good plans for winters. They visit places where they can enjoy on climbing areas and they can good time there.

peter on 05 May 2018 12:18
Much obliged to you for setting aside an ideal opportunity to distribute this data extremely valuable! create professional blog

seo on 06 May 2018 11:54
Thank you very much for the sharing! COOL.. how to learn spanish fast and easy and free

seo on 08 May 2018 12:18
Much thanks to you a cluster for offering this to every one of us you really acknowledge what you are discussing! Bookmarked. If you don't mind likewise look for guidance from my site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract between us! several way you can make money online

petyer on 09 May 2018 11:18
This is an extraordinary article much obliged for sharing this enlightening data. I will visit your website consistently for some most recent post. I will visit your web journal consistently for Some most recent post. what states are weed legal in

seo on 12 May 2018 09:20
valuable data on themes that bounty are intrigued on for this great post.Admiring the time and exertion you put into your b!.. vegan food companies

peter on 16 May 2018 08:42
That is the excellent mindset, nonetheless is just not help to make every sence whatsoever preaching about that mather. Virtually any method many thanks in addition to i had endeavor to promote your own article in to delicius nevertheless it is apparently a dilemma using your information sites can you please recheck the idea. thanks once more. Jittery Monks

peter on 20 May 2018 11:58
A debt of gratitude is in order for the significant data and experiences you have so given here... affiliate internet make money online

PETER on 21 May 2018 12:30
I wish more writers of this sort of substance would take the time you did to look into and compose so well. I am exceptionally inspired with your vision and understanding. banco ico

PETER on 22 May 2018 11:17
On the off chance that more individuals that compose articles truly fretted about composing awesome substance like you, more perusers would be keen on their compositions. Much thanks to you for thinking about your substance. search engine optimization and submission service

resources on 23 May 2018 10:27
Extraordinary article with astounding idea!Thank you for such a significant article. I truly acknowledge for this awesome data..

ncrformsco on 25 May 2018 07:36
So nice post I visit first time on this page I really excited to read your post, thanks for nice sharing I am also sharing this post on my friends.soft copy of order form

harry on 22 June 2018 10:14
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand. composition of ncr forms

pter on 16 August 2018 12:11
I concede, I have not been on this website page in quite a while... in any case it was another delight to see It is such an essential point and overlooked by such a variety of, even experts. experts. I thank you to help making individuals more mindful of conceivable issues. trust flow blog comments

seo on 06 September 2018 11:06
Much obliged to you again for all the information you distribute,Good post. I was extremely keen on the article, it's entirely motivating I ought to concede. I like going to you site since I generally go over fascinating articles like this one.Great Job, I enormously acknowledge that.Do Keep sharing! Respects, Industries