The Silence is Deafening

Bynack More and Bynack Beg, CairngormsA bit of a strange one yesterday.  I was over in the Cairngorms again, this time to make ascents of Bynack More, Bynack Beg and A' Choinneach.  It's approximately a 20 km round trip from Glenmore Lodge, the majority of it is on good paths.  The weather forecast was very favourable, with light winds, a freezing level of around 3000 feet and a cloud base above the majority of the summits.  All went well on the walk up Bynack More.  A great wee hill, especially if you stick religiously to the apex of the North Ridge.  Here exposed rocks and small pinnacles provide good sport and, coupled with some 'step cutting' practise on it's lower slopes, makes for a memorable day out in it's own right and is like a mini alpine ridge.  I paused for a while on the summit to take in the views of the Cairngorm plateau.  Ben Macdui had lost it's summit to the cloud base and the light was flat and left views dull and uninspiring. There wasn't a breath of wind and it felt oppressive and eriee.  Another walker appeared out of nowhere and we exchanged pleasantries before he headed back to Glenmore, while I descended past the Barns of Bynack and onward to A'Choinneach.  It was while I was traversing this ground that I became aware of the silence that surrounded me.  Apart from the 'crunch' of my footsteps on neve, there was nothing. No wind noise, no animal or bird sound. weird, I thought to myself.

Carn Etchachan and the Shelter Stone Crag looking bareNot much snow on the Barns of Bynack

It's a relatively short journey between the two summits (this is probably a reason why A' Choinneach has been dropped from Munro's list).  There are a couple of cairns on it's summit plateau and I'm sure the smaller of the two is the one that marks the true summit.  It's a quite uninspiring mountain, but the views across Loch Avon to the giant cliffs of the Shelter Stone Crag and Carn Etchachan are spectacular (although not on this occasion, due to the poor light) and would be worth the extra effort.  With recent thaws and no precipitation, the dark, brooding cliffs were in stark contrast to the white snows of the plateau.  Not much hope for any climbers hoping to get on Sticil Face or Route Major, I thought.  I took some photos and then headed for Bynack Beg.  Again, this was an easy walk, mostly on flat ground, with good, hard snow.  I took delight of jumping across the summit rocks, just as one would across Adam and Eve, the summit rocks of the most majestic of Welsh mountains, Tryfan.

I opted to descent into the deep valley of Strath Nethy via Bynack Beg's NW spur and was surprised to find evidence of others using this feature as a descent.  All too soon I was in the bottom of the glen, facing a 7km walk back to Glenmore and the first part of it was very boggy!  I wasn't keen on the place and it would be a serious place to be in poor conditions, as place is definite 'terrain trap' for avalanches. Friends have told me harrowing stories of people getting into difficulty and walking out through Strath Nethy, as well as mountain rescue searches taking place here.  It must have been horrendous.

By now it was late afternoon and it was a weary walk along the track to the van.  Again I was aware that there was complete silence. no wind, no bird sounds, just the crunch of my boots on the gravel.  It was really spooky, especially as I never met anyone else on the path.  I wondered whether World War 3 had kicked off and everyone was dead, or aliens had abducted everyone.  (Un) fortunately, this wasn't the case as Aviemore was as busy as usual.

21 Comments to The Silence is Deafening:

hrm essay on 09 May 2017 07:28
This content we are needed to change at chair ladder. That article is made for helping every user for having different stories and reviews. Then every user happy to update your blog updates and reviews.

lucky pacher for ios on 27 June 2017 05:28
Lucky Pacher App for ios is a very useful application that enables the users to have complete information about the applications which are already present on their mobile phones

help with essay on 31 July 2017 13:31

Taco Bell Menu Price on 10 March 2018 05:10
Taco Bell's whole menu and the most recent costs. Attempt tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, and other claim to fame things in Taco Bell. Locate your most loved nourishment.

pancardstatus1 on 16 April 2018 11:01
The application requires two photos. One on the upper right requires signature inside the container underneath it

pan card download on 17 April 2018 09:44
The issuance of PAN, check, conveyance and upkeep takes a shot at open private association (PPP) show like Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) for reasons of economy, proficiency, and adequacy

peter on 16 May 2018 08:44
I take in some new stuff from it as well, a debt of gratitude is in order for sharing your data. a short blog

gamora guardians of the galaxy cosplay on 17 May 2018 01:39
I can definitely recommend this one gru cosplay - really authentic, tailor made costumes with superb quality. I am super happy with my purchase and their customer service is super good.savitar cosplay Try this place ,Also, loads of Etsy sites do them well, find your favourite! You can even get them custom made.ghost in the shell cosplay costume

olymptrade on 21 May 2018 10:01
I am continually amazed by the amount of information available on this subject. What you presented was well researched and well worded in order to get your stand on this across to all your readers.

Mike on 24 May 2018 09:51
I just wanted to say thank you for this huge read. I absolutely enjoying every petite bit of it. Thanks for this post. rubber flooring

storspelare bonus on 01 June 2018 15:05
To be honest, it is more down to earth to play gambling club on the web. You spend less on nourishment, facilities, plane tickets and merchant tips.

cartoon hd apk on 15 June 2018 10:41
In May 2015, reports spilled by National Security Agency (NSA) informant Edward Snowden uncovered that the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) had distinguished UC Browsers as a security powerless point

pan card download soft copy on 27 June 2018 19:17
thanks for the great information. We really impressed by the way you deliver the explained. Keep going.

terrarium tv on 03 July 2018 04:18
A typical medium utilized is 'peat-lite', a blend of peat greenery, vermiculite, and perlite

UkTVNowKodi on 03 July 2018 06:31
The straggling leftovers of the UKTV channels would get the following July. In November 2001

lin on 05 July 2018 08:50
nice

peter on 08 July 2018 07:45
Marvelous and fascinating article. Incredible things you"ve generally imparted to us. Much obliged. Simply keep making this kind out of post. Water Damage Repair

RObinjack on 08 July 2018 08:19
A powerful share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing somewhat evaluation on this. And he in actual fact purchased me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If possible, as you turn into expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It’s highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this weblog put up! 18bet

loemrntdherid1 on 09 July 2018 08:52
Thanks for the nice blog.

seo on 16 July 2018 20:26
Fascinating post. I Have Been pondering about this issue, so a debt of gratitude is in order for posting. Really cool post.It 's truly exceptionally pleasant and Useful post.Thanks kitchen and bathroom remodeling

idol net worth on 19 July 2018 02:27