Bonkers..part 2

Yeap, the weather still is completely mad!  It can't make up it's mind whether it should sunshine or just rain all day.  Instead it has decided to have big, heavy downpours that last a few minutes, followed by lovely, warm sunshine.  Fortunately it hasn't disrupted today's climbing too much.  I've spent the day climbing with a regular client, who is now leading climbs that are graded Hard Very Severe (HVS).  This is the second weekend in a row that we've climbed together.  Last weekend we climbed on the lovely granite of Dartmoor.  On the Saturday we chose to climb at The Dewerstone, which is a big crag (for Dartmoor).  There are many fabulous climbs here, including a route that is in the book, Classic Rock.  Although there aren't many climbs above E2, the setting alone is enough to inspire even the most jaded 'hardman', and the start of the climb "Climber's Club Direct" will certainly give most modern sports climbers a hard time.

Climbing high above the trees at The DewerstoneClimbing Central Groove, The Dewerstone, Darrtmoor

The next day, we headed out to Hay Tor, perhaps the most visited crag on the moor - not just by climbers, as those who seek an audience while climbing will not be disappointed here.  As a major attraction, bus loads of tourists stream their way up from the carpark, to make ascents of both the main tor and Low Man via steps that have been cut into the granite a couple of hundred years ago, and are now polished to a high sheen by millions of feet.  There was a cold wind blowing, but it was possible to find shelter by hiding on part of the crag that was in the lee of the wind.  Six more climbs here, and our tally for the weekend was up to 10 routes!

With colder winds and rain forecast, on the monday, we took a gamble and headed to Torquay and coastal limestone.  Probably best known for the hard sports climbing at Anstey's Cove, Torquay also offers great climbing at lower grades, in quarries and sea cliffs, including the awe-inspiring cave at Berry Head.  With a mild climate, and being south-facing, it makes for a great winter climbing venue.  It was here that I took a big fall, some 20 years ago, from a climb called Crinoid.  I had managed to wobble my way up to, and then beyond, twin pegs, before being spat off on the crux moves, and ended up upside down, just two feet from the ground.  Keen to put this beast to rest, I tied in and went for it.  It involved lots of technical footwork on a steep slab with loooonnnnggg runouts above protection.  A couple of times I thought I had blown it, but managed to keep myself together and make it to the top.  A check of the latest guidebook revealed that the climb has been 'upgraded' from E1 to E2 (that means its harder)! Let's just say I was very chuffed, as was my client, whose climbing skills had come on leaps and bounds and had culminated with a perfect 'on-sight' lead of a climb called 'Liaison with Lenin', which is graded HVS , and is a really good climb for someone to lead, when making the jump from Very Severe (VS), as the protection is excellent and easy to place.

Climbing at Telegraph Hole, Torquay
Ok, it seems like I've been neglecting the wonderful seacliffs of Cornwall....well, nothing could be further from the truth.  I've been climbing down on the Lizard quite a bit recently.  This is partially due to helping a friend, who is currently writing a new guidebook to the area.  The new book should be available next year, but at the moment, we have been checking climbs and climbing new ones too!  I've also been there with friends from my time in the RAF. It's been a great way to catch up, even though the last time we climbed together was back in 1999!!!

Rock climbing on Lizard Point, Cornwall
Rock climbing on the Lizard, Cornwall

And it's not just climbing on The Lizard, I've also been down in Penwith at Chair Ladder, Carn Barra and other cliffs - both for work and for pleasure.  I've been drafted in to help with a new guidebook for the area, so I've been checking lots of routes, mostly those climbs that people don't do because they concentrate on climbing the 'classics' or '3 star' routes.  Well, all I can say is that they are missing out!

Rock climbing at Carn BarraRock climbing at Carn Barra, Cornwall

Well, thats it.  I think I have caught up with everything, apart from today's escapades up near Bristol (climbing at Portishead Quarry and Suspension Bridge Buttress, Avon Gorge), but I'm sure I will post something again soon.  Off to the Wye Valley tomorrow.  Hope the weather holds out.

15 Comments to Bonkers..part 2:

Replica Breitling on 28 February 2014 06:52

Koen Clacton on 22 February 2016 09:25
Greetings, it was actually a really fantastic experience for me when I dropped by at your website. I just needed to commend you on the quality of the work and to wish you good luck with it as you progress as time goes on. It was nice to surf your site and I will obviously be dropping by again soon to discover how you are doing. Cheers and I shall see you here soon - Gael Clacton

okna plastikowe ceny on 04 July 2014 21:10
Currently extremely popular will be the frame with imprinted habit together with a a lot more old classic frame clean In the problem of recent trends really should get not only overall ideas

stron on 03 August 2014 03:51
Always it's always beneficial that this carpeting / flooring ended up of top quality and they are generally strong When making your personal kitchen area ought not to opt for amongst two

cheapbags on 11 August 2014 03:22
louis vuitton bags cheap bags

stron on 30 August 2014 01:03
It could be believed there presently exist some fundamental standards that individuals should be thinking about ingesting your kitchen interior to buy a competent organization which is in excellent standing

site on 11 September 2014 01:23
If a desires to these kind of adornments can be predicted not merely poor hundred percentage point could help to make you and me in respect of your basic safety additionally, the top quality of work done

profil on 11 September 2014 02:10
You can also choose to slimmer window curtains blinds plus your in your proper color selection designed to the actual useful perform the job Do not just perceive all of our screams woke up child

Forklift Training Melbourne on 11 September 2014 11:17
Thank you once again for your love and willingness to share your feelings..

strony internetowe on 08 December 2014 09:17
However, you must have a whole lot of experience or desire to educate yourself about to make sure you correctly get along with the project. They fulfill a crucial performance, it is therefore significant potentially they are effectively arranged

Anonymous on 19 January 2015 14:54
Often there're found in the doing from eyeport sills. Outside furniture as well check up on your kitchen counter They deliver a necessary operate, so it is essential that they are suitably arranged

spokojnemieszkanie.pl on 19 January 2015 14:54

http://www.ukbagsblog.com on 11 October 2015 02:59

Fake Watches on 14 December 2015 09:15
Fortunately it hasn't disrupted today's climbing too much.

tinyurl.com/hdukk7a on 22 February 2016 10:33
For situation, the exact the silver screen is done at the paper of the e-book or the book uncomfortable and folks opt to think about an issue authentic help in the twenty-first a single, the actual actual